This is approximately a 10+ miles one way paddle to the boat launch at Matagorda WMA. There should be 13 picnic tables on the island for camping, some fire rings, and other open areas close for camping. No reservations. Primitive Camping only. There are no facilities on the island and you must bring all necessary gear, food and water for all needs for your length of stay. All garbage must be packed out as well. Please be prepared for any and all weather conditions regardless of the forecast.
Matagorda Island is inhabited by all forms of Texas wildlife. This includes poisonous snakes, coyotes, feral hogs, and raccoons. It's a great birding area, and deer can often be seen in the morning.
List of Activities:
Friday - Once on the island, paddling shoreline west, fishing or hiking to lighthouse (6 miles round trip, bring good shoes).
Saturday - HASK Paddling kayak trails to Sunday Beach and spending some dune time on the Gulf side of the island .
Sunday- Leisurely paddle back to Port O'Connor
Trip Leader: Wendel Bordelon
Assistant Trip Leader: Bob Scaldino
HASK Trip Rating*: 2-3 (distance, location, conditions)
* Trip ratings are only a guide. Actual conditions will vary with wind and other weather.
HASK Emergency Contact/Check in: TBD
Coast Guard (Port O'Connor) 361-983-2617 (VHF 16)
Seadrift Police 361-785-2069 (dial 911)
Distance from Houston…. 165 miles
The Port O'Connor Fishing Center, 1303 W Water Street at corner of S 13th
Latitude 28° 26.318' N Longitude, 96° 24.841' W
$5 Launch fee $5/day Parking
The Fishing Center is a privately owned boat ramp and bait stand offering a ramp and parking. Fishing supplies, snacks and drinks, and ice are available for purchase. A restroom is available in the store. The Fishing Center offers the closest access to Marker #1 at Fisherman's Cut (0.9 miles closer than Little Jetties) which provides access to the 'Back Bay' system.
Directions once in Port O’Connor:
1. Turn right on S 16th Street (at Speedy Stop Convenience Store).
2. After several blocks, turn left on Maple Street, then right on 15th Street.
3. The Fishing Center is located at the corner of 15th Street, Water Street, and the GIW.
4. To get to Marker #1, paddle across the GIW and enter Fisherman’s Cut.
This is an ACA sanctioned event. All participants in ACA-insured activities must wear properly-fitting U.S. Coast Guard-approved lifejackets (Personal Flotation Devices, or PFDs) at all times during on-water activities. Non-HASK participants must sign a waiver.
Waivers - Please complete our easy to use online waiver if you are a HASK member who has not signed a waiver within the last 12 months or a non- HASK participant. Read the waiver carefully. You give up substantial rights when you sign it.
- Add Smartwaiver with email address “email@example.com” to your address book to ensure emails do not go to junk/spam.
- Select a link below to complete the online waiver.
ACA-HASK Adult Waiver ACA-HASK Minor Waiver
- Respond to the “Confirm your E-Signature” email from ACA / HASK to confirm your email address. Wavier is now complete and valid.
- You will receive a confirmation email. Please download and print a copy of the waiver and bring it to the trip put-in.
Guests – You are welcome to join us for a couple of paddle trips. HASK will cover the $5 ACA event membership for non-ACA members. Hopefully you will then join HASK and continue paddling with us.